Saturday, December 14, 2013

LadyYuna's Top 10 Most Underrated Fandoms

Top 10 Most Underrated Fandoms:

Note: So how do I define 'underrated' for a fandom to be included in this list? Easy. It refers to an anime/manga/video game/whatever that few people talk about, regardless of whether they simply never heard of it, it didn't get much publicity, or both. While I would personally recommend any of these to read/watch/whatever, I'm not making this to push for people to start looking at or liking any of these. It's just my honest opinion, really.

Yes, I realize there are likely far more than just 10. But as with the other lists, these are my personal opinions. And finally, I realize I have indeed left a lot out from each summary. But that was all done on purpose to avoid spoiling this for anyone. Besides, isn't that what the internet is for? Doing research? This way, it can allow for anyone who views this to look more up if they so wish. 

That being said ... let's proceed onward!

#10: Death Note (Anime/Manga)


I wound up putting this as #10 just because I do know of others that know of the series. But compared to the number of friends I have versus those who know of it .. it's not as much as it could be, which is why it's listed at all. 

Death Note is about a black book, one that enables whomever writes in it to kill the person whose name they include. It focuses around Light Yagami, the lucky finder, and how he deals with using the Death Note. Of course, his acts don't go unnoticed and many attempt to stop his mass murderings. His most famous rival who constantly aims to halt him is known as L.

I admit that after a certain point - I won't reveal which to avoid spoilers - it does kind of go downhill in terms of the ability to like it. But overall, the plot's pretty decent, most of the characters are really interesting and developed, some incredibly likeable even. 

With Death Note being a mystery-esque manga and anime, it'll always hold a special place in my heart ... and on this list.

#9: Gundam Wing (Anime)


I'm not gonna lie; sci-fi is the hardest genre to impress me with. But when "Gundam Wing" came out on Toonami ... I fell in love with it, almost instantly. Even when I think back and ask myself what drew me to it, I honestly need to contemplate. 

One, for sure, was the cast. Heero caught my attention; though with his introduction he gave, the better question was how couldn't he? 

The plot lost me at the time due to me being naive and slightly stupider than I am now. But that isn't to say it's horrible. In fact, after I re-read it ... it adds onto the liking factor of Gundam Wing and strengthens the end results of it. However, I can say the concept of being able to fly around in mobile suits that can fight in space was likely another contribution which made me enjoy the series. 

A movie that served as a prequel and sequel to the Gundam Series known as "Endless Waltz" was introduced. While I know they released it to buy - I believe via DVD - to the public ... it's likely harder to find now than when it first came out. It was pretty decent for what it was though I can say the new characters introduced annoyed me more than intrigued me. 

Still, I'd recommend trying to find it if possible; definitely the series if not the movie.

Gundam Wing was one of my very first fandoms that I began watching ... and like the others on this list, has certainly earned a place here and in my memory and heart. 

#8: D.N. Angel (Anime/Manga)


This was one of the many anime/manga which my husband actually introduced me to. It's rather short, consisting of only 26 episodes. But they made each and every one very worthwhile and very memorable. This is one of the few fandoms where I've only seen all the episodes as opposed to reading up on the manga .. though I'll likely work on that soon.

D.N. Angel follows the adventures of Daisuke Niwa, who seems like the typical teenager boy. It is revealed to him that he has a condition, one that is a family secret in fact. Whenever he has romantic feelings for his crush, he shifts into his alter-ego, known simply as "Dark". 

From there, it continues to focus on Daisuke and Dark, seeing how they go about daily life now that each know of the other. They speak to one another in an almost similar manner that Atem/Yugi do. 

Aside from really good characters and episodes, it has some lovely music. The best was, by far, "Caged Bird" which they played at the end of Episode 24. It's so beautifully well written that it makes me cry every time I hear it. And if you can find a version of it on Youtube with subtitles ... you'll easily see why. 

#7: Romeo x Juliet (Anime/Manga)


Despite it's many similarities to the book "Romeo and Juliet", there were definitely some nice twists that made this rather appealing. Juliet's background, for example, is far more darker than in Shakespeare's version -- which made for an interesting plot twist in the manga. 

Similar to the book, Romeo and Juliet do keep the 'star-crossed lovers' roles; and play them out beautifully. However, this isn't just set within Verona. Nope. "Romeo x Juliet" takes place in Neo Verona, a floating island -- another huge difference. 

When Juliet was two, the Montague house, led by Leontes Montague, led a coup against the Capulets. All of the members except for Juliet were killed. Our heroine is helped escape to safety thanks to a group of loyalists to the Capulet family.

The story then focuses upon the now sixteen year old Juliet .. and while she does fall in love at first sight upon meeting Romeo, she doesn't keep to just one persona. In fact, she fights against the Montague house under a vigilante guise known as "The Red Whirlwind". 

While usually I'm unsure of new adaptations of already made classics, especially something like "Romeo and Juliet", this was very well executed. The setting was gorgeous, very well created. The characters stayed pretty well true to their old selves as per the book... and what new additions were given - like to Juliet - were nice touches all the same.  

#6: Waltz in a White Dress (Manga)


Love triangles are also something I'm not usually fond of. But in the manga "Waltz in a White Dress" .. it's actually balanced out beautifully between all the characters. 

It doesn't take place in an exact year; in fact, it even says "In XX Century" if you check the summary on mangareader.net. And since I've already given where to find this ... it almost honestly seems redundant to repeat the plot summary here. 

The chapters are more like volumes and thus longer than the typical 18-21 page chapters. But the dialogue and plot events were so captivating that I finished the entire manga in .. about three days. And needless to say, I loved it. "Waltz in a White Dress" is by far one of the best love stories I've read in a very long time. 

#5: Chocotto Sister (Anime/Manga)


This is another that I only watched the anime; though that's mainly because I didn't know - until recently - there was even a manga version of this. Me and my husband found it on NEBS TV [an online site we've used to sometimes watch certain animes on]. From start to ending, this is no doubt one of the most heart-warming [and breaking, sometimes] series I've seen. 

"Chocotto Sister" revolves around a wish that comes true. The main character - Haruma Kawagoe - once prayed to God that his mother would give him a sister. Unfortunately, she had a miscarriage while carrying his unborn sibling. One day - on or around Christmas, a woman on a motorbike claiming to be "Santa" literally delivers his wish and gives him a younger sister.

Despite the wish having been made years ago, Haruma takes to it well enough, still very content to having his prayer heard even after so long. The story focuses on the two getting closer together, introducing several side characters along the way who also play a vital role in the anime.

#4: Doubt (Manga)


Much like sci-fi, horror is another genre that takes a lot to impress me. But "Doubt" - also known as "Rabbit Doubt" - definitely did just that. 

Six teenagers that all seem to be normal get a message that explains they are to play a game; a very deadly one in fact. Among them is a killer and they have to figure out who before it's too late. The story revolves around all the players and focuses on how they survive and try to figure out who the killer is; all while sealed away in an abandoned and locked building. 

I know this plot line has been done so much ... but there was something about "Doubt" that made it more .. unique somehow. It's definitely worth the reading and I was especially pleased to read up that they made a sequel to this. The worst thing on "Doubt", to me, had been it's original ending. 

#3: Angelic Layer (Anime/Manga)


"Angelic Layer" is not only one of the fandoms my husband introduced me to .. but the very first one, in fact. He sent me all the episodes over AIM while we were still living in our respective home states. I got a new one each day. Also similar to a good majority of the other fandoms I've listed here, "Angelic Layer" is also short, consisting of 26 episodes. 

"Angelic Layer" is about a seventh grader - Misaki Suzuhara - who just moved into Japan. After navigating herself out of the subway she'd taken, one of the first things she finds is a new game, known as Angelic Layer. In essence, it's similar to any fighting game one can play on a console. The major, difference, however, is that the Angels are controlled through the thoughts of their players, known as Deuses. 

But more than the game that captures Misaki's attention is the sight of a massive, taller and clearly stronger Angel going against one in all white, known by the name Athena. Misaki sees Athena similar to herself; small, not overly strong in the physical department, but still very determined. When she watches Athena win, it inspires Misaki to want to learn Angelic Layer herself, realizing that even those deemed 'too small' of an underdog can have as fair of a chance to succeed as those that seem more likely to obtain victory.

As Misaki learns more and more of the game, she meets other players ... including - eventually - the owner of the angel Athena.  

#2: Shadow Hearts (All of the PS2 games [1-3] but especially the first)


I can't begin to emphasize how much I love, love, love this game. Unfortunately, it was debuted one week before "Final Fantasy X" so of course .. it didn't get nearly as much publicity as it should have; which was a damn shame. "Shadow Hearts" is by far one of the best games  I've played. Like a good portion of this list, my husband introduced this to me also. He had the incredible fortune of having found a copy - which is a rare thing to do nowadays - and let me play it. 

Even without the plot, the characters were more than enough to draw my attention in, very easily too I might add. And while this does apply for all three games, the first had everything done in it the best, hands down. The second and third were okay ... but the first "Shadow Hearts" was - and always will be - my personal favorite. 

#1: Katekyo Hitman Reborn! (Anime and manga)


Much like "Shadow Hearts" - and all of the other fandoms listed here, really, "Katekyo Hitman Reborn!" is one of those things I think fondly of ... and wonder why so few people know of it. Granted, it is complete now so it doesn't continue to update in the manga like other big titles have been as of late, namely two of the 'Top Three' at the moment. ("Naruto" and "One Piece". I thought I heard "Bleach" was complete as of recently or something of the like).  Still, as far as I've seen, the manga is able to be looked up on any site like mangareader.net and such. 

"Katekyo Hitman Reborn!" is a series that focuses upon the main character - Tsunayoshi Sawada [Tsuna for a shortened nickname], being revealed that he is the soon-to-be Judaime [Tenth Leader] of the Vongola Mafia family. The informant of this news is his tutor, who appears to be an infant upon first glance known as Reborn. 

And thus, it focuses upon Tsuna dealing with everyday obstacles; not just mafia-related but school too as most of his guardians wind up being classmates of his. 

No comments:

Post a Comment