Monday, December 23, 2013

LadyYuna's Top 20 Most Frustrating/Saddest Deaths in "Naruto"

Note: Why only "Naruto" as opposed to choosing a bunch of other fandoms and adding them to the list? Because it's honestly easier to do this way, for one. Two, how can't I? It's set up too easily with how Kishimoto has been the writing the manga now.

I will say now that Hinata will not be here. Why? Because while we thought she was dead, the verdict came up as not. This list comprises of only those who were declared deceased, regardless of whether it was permanent or brought back somehow. 

#20: Rin Nohara



This ... I kinda saw coming. I had a feeling the poor girl did indeed commit suicide after we saw Obito's death in the Kakashi Gaiden arc. But when the truth was revealed, it was actually worse. With that being said, though, I can't say she was one of my more favorite characters. And that's why she's so high on this list. It made an impact, yes. But not as much regarding the fact she died, not compared to how and why

#19: Itachi Uchiha (During the 4th War whilst under the Edo Tensei)


I already kinda saw this one coming, knowing how the Edo Tensei worked. But ugh .. it still seems unfair. Itachi is by far one of the best characters in the "Naruto" series, definitely the most likable Uchiha for sure. I would include Shisui alongside Itachi but we don't really get many chances, if any, to see his personality so .. I can't quite say. 

#18: Shin


This is honestly one of the characters I would have really loved to know more about. But when we first learn of him via Sai's background, he's already dead. And then what? He's forced back as one of the many via the Edo Tensei ... only to die again. Really frustrating, especially for the short time we do see him again, we get no real hints on more of the past between him and the ROOT artist. 

I realize he likely started out deceased to add to Sai's background. But why bring him back only to just off him again? There was no chance for character development with him ... which was a real shame. Shin definitely had potential but it was taken away from him, in my mind and eyes. 

#17: Team Dosu (Dosu Kinuta, Kin Tsuchi, & Zaku Abumi)


Yeah, it's explained that all but Dosu were killed by Orochimaru himself in order to bring back the Shodaime and Nidaime ... but that kinda adds onto the annoying feelings. They were all a pretty clever team when all was said and done, especially for being one of the first set of antagonists. 

#16: Jiraiya


Despite his perverted tendencies, the man did have such a vital role to Naruto's training. And really? You had all the bodies of Pein go against him? That just seemed like overkill to me. Sure, he was one of the three Sannin but anyone with enough common sense would have known that had probably been far too much after a while. Six versus one ... no. Few people could even come out of that alive; maybe not well but still breathing. Also, it felt somewhat like Shin's death; as if it happened just to do so.

I don't mind trying to help Naruto grow up and better develop - which was one of the more accurate reasons that it did happen - but ... you do this by pissing him off and depressing him with the death of his mentor? What the fuck?

#15: Kidoumaru


Only about half of the Sound Five genuinely got my attention and actually, this was one of them. Why? Because of all the canons that Kishimoto made, he was the only one to ever find out the secret regarding the Byakugan. And that likely contributed to why he wound up being killed off, literally being forced to take the secret with him to his grave. 

#14: Kisame Hoshigaki


I realize that when members of Akatsuki began to get killed off, I should have seen this one coming. But he seemed like one of the more stronger members. And honestly ... it looked like he'd win the fight with Killerbee dying instead. Also ... really? You really  have his own sword betray him? What bullshit. 

#13: Zabuza Momochi & Haku


I include them both together because the two died beside one another. And with their times of deaths having been so close - along with their overall relationship - it only seems justified and fair to list them like this. 

#12: Kimimaru Kaguya


This was one of the other inevitable ones basically, once we found he'd been sick for years. But it still doesn't change my opinion. I think the worst part was he had been so devoted, so loyal to Orochimaru and what does he do upon hearing of his demise? Shrug it off. Then again, that does - admittedly - make him one of the better and more genuine villains throughout the series. 

#11: Pein


Personally, there could have been other ways to go about his revival technique instead of  him giving his own life up. It was a noble gesture and all ... but near the very end, we get hints he wasn't all bad despite the invasion that he directed. Pein felt more like a 'forced villain', much like Kabuto ... which honestly made me feel horrible for him because of that. 

#10: Konan


The male to female ratio cast in "Naruto" is already irritating enough as it is. There aren't many women characters and there are even less that got my attention at all. Konan was one of the most independent, determined, loyal women that Kishimoto ever created. And she still winds up dead, all to find out of the location of Pein/Nagato's body for the damn Rinnegan.

Yes, it made sense to try to get the answers out of her since she was closest to Pein. But still ... ugh. Did it really need to result in her dying? Personally, I think not. 

#9: Hidan


I realize this is somewhat cheating because he didn't 'die' in the sense everyone else did. But still, throughout his and Kakuzu's arc, the man did show a lot of intelligence despite his cursing fits. And this was another example of how Jiraiya's death was done; to help someone else grow up and develop. That's fine and all ... but don't make him abruptly become too arrogant and stupid. But all in all ... he'd been fucking immortal. It seems redundant to give someone that ability and still make them able to be defeated. 

#8: Hiruzen Sarutobi [The Sandaime]


Given he did a 'good guy versus bad guy' battle, Hiruzen's death was almost pretty much inevitable as well. However, he had been the Hokage that we all first saw  upon watching the series. And the amount of people who showed up at his funeral proved just how much he'd meant to Konoha. Hiruzen was a man of great charisma and him dying a hero to protect the land he loved so much added further onto the loss. 

#7: Asuma Sarutobi


Need I really say much more? Once again ... poor Shikamaru. True, it wasn't only his loss but it definitely affected him the most and - simultaneously - caused him to further grow up and develop. 

#6: Shikaku Nara, Inoichi Yamanaka, & Choza Akimichi


Wow ... just, wow. That was about all my mind could comprehend when I read up that they - among many others - gave their lives during the war. Poor Shikamaru. If I had to designate one canon who really has lost a hell of a lot during the entire series thus far, it'd definitely be him hands down. 

#5: Tayuya


I admit, some of this is partly from my own selfish desires with how much Tayuya is by far one of my favorite characters. But also ... she really did have Shikamaru. All of the Sound nin did prior till the Sand arrived. But ... hm. I know the words going through my head but the task of copying my thoughts is easier said than done. Just trust me when I say I was definitely irked that Tayuya wound up dying.  

#4: Gaara


Trust me when I say Naruto was not the only one crying for Gaara. I did too, very much so. Just his background alone had made tears fall from my eyes. His death resulted in far more. Yes, he was one of those cases where he came back .. but for the time he stayed deceased, it was still a very sad moment all the same. 

#3: Kakashi Hatake


I know that like Gaara, Kakashi was revived. But I can say hands down I cried the most for him than anyone else on this list, even Gaara. And for a while, it'd seemed like he wouldn't be brought back. With Gaara, there were faster hints about a way to resurrect him. It took longer for the revelations that the same man who helped take the lives of many from his own invasion could bring them all back. Also, Pein definitely didn't have to use the technique. And while part of me is still a tad astounded he wound up doing so, there is a selfish side that's glad to some degrees. As I said in regards to Pein, I don't think it should have had to require taking away his own life but may used something else instead to make the jutsu work. 


#2: Itachi Uchiha (After his first fight against Sasuke)


Seriously, Sasuke should not have won this fight! Oh dear fucking gods! And it was true that in many aspects he didn't since it was Itachi's illness that killed him. But ... still. He'd clearly lived with it for so long ... why did it have to kick in then and there? Also, if he'd had the sickness for that amount of time ... it just seems foolish he never did anything about it. Or it seemed that way, at least. 

#1: Neji Hyuuga


Why, why, why, and why?! Even now, I still don't understand why it had to be Neji as opposed to Hiashi or another Hyuuga member. I admit that I never took a liking of him until Shippuden, given he'd been far too cruel and arrogant before. But ... when it happened, I broke down for Neji. I didn't really think it'd happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment